My first shirt!

Apparel sewing and have not mixed well in the past.  I tried when I was a teenager to make a super cool jumpsuit-type outfit (it was the early 90's).  It did not fit at. all.  Then and there I swore I would only make flat things--quilts.

After Henry was born I did venture into a little bit of sewing with knits...but that was short lived.  The flat sewing continued...

Then, two months ago, super cool Anna from the DCMQG showed off the Wiksten tank she made and asked if anyone else wanted to make a Washi dress.  We chose a date and I made a top with some vintage sheet fabric.  The only picture I have of it is not appropriate for public consumption.  I have some sort of deformity where I have two extra inches of chest height in the front but not the back.  No issues with the bust, waistline or hip line height.  I just have long front armpits??  Or something like that.  Anyway, I got discouraged.  If I change the height of the shoulder of the garment, then the armholes don't work and the sleeves don't work and the facings don't work...etc.

Enter the fabulous Nicole of Finch Studio.  She and I met two weeks ago to work on my personal version of the Washi top.  I started over with another vintage sheet.

My second washi attempt (the first was not appropriate for pics) this time I had help from @finchsewingstudio for pattern adjustments. For my third try I won't do the notch and I'll take the shoulder straps in a bit.

This is my initial IG photo from over a week ago.  The sleeves were too stiff and made me look like a linebacker (not the fault of the pattern.  I was using a stiffer fabric and I already have wide shoulders) and we initially added 3" of front chest height and 1" of back chest height.  The shoulders kept falling down and the dip in the neckline was nearly obscene.  So...I had the opportunity to take out 5 seams on each shoulder to fix it....  But I finally felt like I could fix it myself!!

Here is the finished product:

finished washi

All of the apparel sewing blog posts I've read say that the finished details on the inside make the garment.  I couldn't agree more.  I used French seams on the sides (please ignore the skipped stitches on the hem.  I needed a new needle for the hem but was too stubborn to get up to get one.  I'll fix that soon).
side french seams, hem

The inside of the facing stitched down:
inside facing, stitched down

The outside of the facing stitched down and the armhole bias tape stitched down:
front of stitched down facing

The ruching on the back waist:
ruching


It took a lot of trial and error, but I'm pretty pleased with it.  In fact, I've worn it three times this week.  I'm giving it a rest today so the neighbors don't start to wonder if I bathe.

And now I'm dreaming about all sorts of other clothing I can make myself....

15 comments:

jeanne e. said...

yay! congratulations...it is a lovely top. :)

Cassie said...

Yay!!!! It looks great! Congratulations on your first top :)

Anna Hall said...

It looks great, Melinda!! I can't wait to see it in person! :)

Jilly said...

woo hoo! Clothes sewing is awesome - welcome to the fun!

I have a great vintage book my Grandma gave me that has all kinds of alterations, although none for pants as the book predates women wearing pants . . .

Kim with a K said...

Congratulations on making such a beautiful top!!!

Lisa said...

It's gorgeous! Way to go!

LethargicLass said...

it looks fabulous! I just bought the pattern based on your first photo of this one... I hope I don't need to do any tweaking though as I'm not sure I would know how LOL... it really looks perfect on you!

Elle said...

Fabulous!

Anjeanette said...

Super Cute Melinda! You are rocking the garment sewing now.

Archie The Wonder Dog said...

It looks wonderful on you!

Anonymous said...

it's perfect!! you are amazing!!!
-melissa

just2Bjulie said...

Oh! Oh! Oh! So cute!

Sarah said...

It looks really good on you! Congratulations on your first garment finish. None of the popular patterns that bloggers are making suit a figure like mine so I'm not even trying. I was having a good giggle trying to figure out your so called deformity and long armpits!

Heidi Staples said...

Absolutely beautiful, Melinda! I love that fabric!

mjb said...

This looks great! Way to stick with it.

Post a Comment

You are awesome! Thanks for leaving a comment :)